Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stuttering...

Way back in Oct of 2006, we rented a cabin up North for the weekend. Long story short, L fell into a cactus and got some stickers in her body. Her dad wasn't too happy with the poor listening job she was doing while he tried to remove the stickers and ended up yelling AND spanking her. It was a first for both from him to her. She was devastated. The next morning, she woke up stuttering. I was very concerned since she had always talked so well. I really thought it was a reaction to the traumatic situation of having daddy spank and yell at her. We called the dr on call and was assured that this was probably normal but if she showed other signs of a head trauma to take her to the ER. She seemed fine except the stuttering. We came home early from our trip because we were so worried. She even noticed the change in her speech and commented "Why am I talking funny?". Okay this was going to be a long story short but guess not. After taking her to the dr and having a friend talk to her speech therapist and long hours of research on the Internet, it was determined this was completely normal and even more so from an above average smart child whose mind is simply processing things faster than their tongue can spit them out. Well today - S started stuttering. Pretty much at the same time as L did (28 months for her - 27 1/2 months for him). We were on way to get a coffee while L was in dance and he started. He didn't really notice it himself until we were home and he was using the potty and was trying to say "I all done" but kept saying "I, I, I, I, I" a bunch of times. I was not worried in the least time since having already been through this. He finally looked up at me and said "Mama, help me talk" and started to cry! I felt so bad for him but was laughing at the same time. He looked so sad there sitting on his little potty, naked as can be and crying because he couldn't say what he wanted to say. We got him cleaned up and had some snuggle time while I talked with him about the stuttering, trying to explain it to him (that it was okay, etc.). He didn't stutter the rest of the evening. He got caught up on a few words but slowed down and took his time and that seemed to help. I felt so calm and relaxed this time, having already been through the situation with L 2 years ago. It got me to thinking about other things. I am so much harder on her than I am on him. I really need to relax and let her be a child. I expect so much from her, since she acts and speaks like she is so much older than 4. I really need to relax and enjoy her. AWWW - Motherly guilt. I don't think it will ever change.

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

Hi, i just found your blog and wanted to let you know i am enjoying reading it, keep up the good work ;-)

cheryl said...

Oh, goodness, I remember how I thought my oldest daughter was much older than she was, until at 8 she became ill with leukemia... But even in her teenage years SHE wanted to grow up before her time, seems like she (or was it me??) didn't ever want to be the age she was. Now at 25, she realizes she spent her whole childhood trying to grow up.. She's fine, though, but my heart breaks when I remember expecting her to be much more mature than she could have possibly been. My next 6 didn't do that, and neither did I. I have to mention about the stuttering: When my mom was having her 4th, she left us with my Aunt for a few days. When she picked us up, my Aunt mentioned that my younger brother (17 mos!!) had quit talking, and would only stutter. He did end up getting through it, but it always made me feel sad. Take care, your kids are just gorgeous!!